Sunday, February 7, 2010

Naptime



Almost every day, around 1pm-silence can be heard in my house. It is the only time during the day when there is silence and I relish in it. I know this is the time that most mother's clean, do laundry, straighten up, cook, pay bills, something productive. But I'm not most mothers, Not me :) I use nap time to do whatever I feel like doing-catch up on Gray's-sure, grab a blanket and a good book and read-sure, take a long hot shower-sure, catch up with some old friends by phone or email-sure. Sometimes I even take a nap. This is how I ensure that I have time for me and therefore can devote my time to them when they are awake. For when they wake up-it's off to the musuems or playdates or playgrounds or swimming or it's baking, reading, painting, playing games.
All dishes done and floors that shine.
Observe the crumbs, cereal, and toys galore.
The smudgy prints upon the windows and doors.
The little ones we shelter here
Don’t thrive on a spotless atmosphere.
They’re more inclined to disarray
And carefree messy play.
Their needs are great and their patience small.
All day I’m at there beck and call.
It’s Mommy come! Mommy see!
Mommy change the channel on TV.
Wiggly worms and scraped knees.
Painted pictures and blocks piled high.
My floors and house a mess, the days go by.
Some future day they’ll flee this nest,
And I at last will have a rest!
Now you tell me which matters more,
A happy child or a polished floor?Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Amiee said...

That's right Jackie!! I'll clean when they are in college!! Might have to steal your poem!

Nicole said...

I love that!!!

Jennifer said...

Jackie - how much better can your blog get! Thank you for reminding me the importance of enjoying life as it happens ... Silvia turned 6 months this week and I simply can't believe it!